
Just thought I would share a pic of some of our cattle. As you can see from the date it was taken in July, when the weather was alot warmer. We have 2 barns that hold cattle; one a slat barn, where all manure goes thru the floor into a holding tank, and one with a regular cement floor that gets cleaned and has fresh straw put in every week. In the slat barn there are 3 pens with 50 "head" of cattle in each one. The same for the pole barn with the exception of there being 4 pens. The cattle in the slat barn get to move to the pole barn once they get a little bigger.
The manure pit gets emptied out twice a year. Dan is actually gettig ready to empty soon. He has to place an "agitator" down into the pit to get it mixed, or else it won't go thru the pump, out into the tanker to spread in the field. This type of manure is more concentrated and has a stronger smell due to the fact that there is no straw to soak up the liquid part. Once spread on the field it has to be worked in within a certain time period.
Hope you have enjoyed your cattle lesson today, be sure to check back for more soon.
TTYL.
2 comments:
Interesting lesson on the slat barn. I can honestly say that I wouldn't want the job that Dan is about to do.
I also wanted to thank you for looking and leaving comments on my blog, receiving comments is a "feel good" thing.
I bet that is a lot of poop!
Post a Comment