Friday, October 10, 2008

My day off...sort of.

Yesterday DH started digging beets in one of our fields. Full time digging won't take place til Oct. 20th, so anything that is hauled to the dumping grounds gets a premium. This is so the sugar plants can get started early in their processing. I was looking forward to my day off all week, til I knew I might have to go to the field. Don't get me wrong, I love being out there, just that if I have stuff to do, it's kind of inconvenient. I'm sure you would agree we would all like to be stamping instead of anything else. So, I decided to get on here quick and post something.



I thought I would show off another piece of farm equipment.


My father in law drives this one when out in the field for beets. The box behind the tractor is the "beet topper" This has to go down the row first before any other equipment. It does 4 rows at a time, "slapping" the leaves off the beets. The processing plants only want the actual sugar beet, plus you get docked some way for leaving these on. If you get the speed of the topper going too fast, you can even knock it out of its row, and the digger tractor will run it over. I get to run this when FIL gets tired or if we don't have enough help in the field. Otherwise, that's where he stays most of the time.
Thank you to everyone checking out my blog and leaving great comments.

No comments: